Hey all! today’s post is on health & a common factor these days to why so many people are finding it heard to lose weight…
This is something I know I’ve struggled with because of the medication i was given when i was a child, anti-inflammatory medication, asthma inhalers, steroid creams like corticosteroids! I wish i was told that these would have an effect on me when i get older… anyways these are my notes on cortisol and things I’ve found out that I thought might help you 🙂
What is Cortisol?
It’s best known for helping fuel your body’s “fight-or-flight” instinct in a crisis, but cortisol plays an important role in a number of things your body does. For example, it:
- Manages how your body uses carbohydrates, fats, and proteins
- Keeps inflammation down
- Regulates your blood pressure
- Increases your blood sugar (glucose)
- Controls your sleep/wake cycle
- Boosts energy so you can handle stress and restores balance afterward”
In order words, Cortisol is a stress hormone produced in the body naturally, that is essential for our health. However too much of it can cause health problems.
Too much stress is one way that our body produces too much cortisol, but also a lot of medication manipulate our hormones & cause an increase our body producing excess cortisol.
Not sure if you have too much cortisol in the body? Below are some commonly reported symptoms caused by high cortisol:
- Rapid weight gain.
- High blood pressure.
- Muscle weakness.
- Mood swings, anxiety and depression.
- Impaired cognitive function (fuzzy brain)
- Dampened thyroid function.
- Blood sugar imbalances.
- Poor sleep.
So, how do you lower your cortisol levels?
Assuming you haven’t been diagnosed with Cushing’s disease by your doctor, here are steps you can take to help lower high cortisol levels naturally:
- Switch to a Whole Foods, Anti-inflammatory Diet.
- Reduce and Manage Stress.
- Exercise Regularly.
- Use Adaptogen Herbs and Superfoods.
- Try Essential Oils to Promote Relaxation.
What supplements lower cortisol?
- DHEA, also an adrenal hormone, counters the action of cortisol in many tissues (Buoso 2011). The balance between cortisol and DHEA is generally maintained in youth.
- Maintaining Sex Hormone Balance.
- B-Complex vitamins.
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)
Also these five foods are an “absolute must” to naturally balance your hormones.
- Healthy Omega 9 Fats (Avocadoes, Almonds, Olive Oil)
- Short Chain Fatty Acid (Grass-fed Butter, Ghee, Organic Kefir and Yogurt)
- Omega 3 Fatty Acid (Wild Caught Salmon, Chia seeds, Flax seeds, Walnuts)
- Medium Chain Fatty Acid (Coconut oil and Coconut Products)
- GLA (Hemp Seeds)
Hope you found this post helpful 🙂
Also do check out my Youtube Channel below:
Instagram = arwaali5
& please do follow, like, comment & subscribe to both my channel & blog as I am currently working on creating an EBook that will only be sent to my followers! So please support my work so I know how many will be interested.
Lots of Love,