What are Chakras?
The word ckakra is a Sanskrit word meaning wheel. This is due to the fact that the chakras are in a constant state of rotation, it is their rotation which attracts energy and draws it in or gives it off, depending on the direction of the rotation.
The chakras are centers of energy in the body that act as receivers, transformers and distributors of energy (chi, ki, prana). Chakras serve as gateways for the flow of energy and life into our physical bodies.
Although most people have heard of seven chakras, there are actually 114 in the body. The human body is a complex energy form; in addition to the 114 chakras, it also has 72,000 “nadis,” or energy channels, along which vital energy, or “prana,” moves.
In case you think chakras are all things woo-woo, you might be surprised to know that each of the 7 main chakras (more details on each below) correspond to one of the 7 main glands of the endocrine system.
The lower chakras are associated with fundamental needs and emotions and the upper chakras correspond to one’s higher mental and spiritual aspirations and abilities.
Within these chakras is ‘prana,’ or the ultimate pure healing energy, which is all around us and that which keeps us healthy, happy & vibrant.
Before diving deep into chakras, we will cover the basics of the 7 main chakras in this post. That includes their functions and symptoms you may experience when each chakra is imbalanced.
The Seven Main Chakras and Their Functions
- The Root also known as the Base chakra = Muladhara in Sanskrit
It is associated with the color RED, represent by the EARTH element, located in the perineum (Between the anus and the genitals) and its perception/Sense is PHYSICAL. Anything to do with our physical needs is root chakra related. Corresponds to the adrenal gland and associated with legs, feet, bones, large intestine & teeth in the physical body. All rocks are very grounding for the root chakra, especially any red/brown colored stones: ruby, garnet, red jasper. Problems can manifest physically as, lower back issues, pain in your legs, eating disorders, sciatica, constipation
- Its primary function is physical vitality, prosperity, grounding, survival needs of shelter, food and safety.
- When balanced you feel safe, secure, centered, happy to be alive, grounded in physical
- When underactive you are fearful, anxious, uncertain, financially unstable, disconnected from physical
- When overactive you experience greed, lust for power, aggressiveness, materialism, cynicism
- The Sacral or Sexual chakra = Svadhishthana in Sanskrit
It is associated with the color ORANGE, represents the WATER element, located 2-3inches below the navel and its perception/sense are FEELINGS, relations with others and intimacy. Corresponds to the Gonads (ovaries, prostate gland, testicles) endocrine gland and associated with the reproductive organs, kidney, bladder, and lower back.
To help balance this chakra, any orange colored stones (i.e.) carnelian, imperial topaz. Problems can manifest physically as, Infertility/impotency, hip pain, sexual dysfunction, urinary problems and irregular menstruation
- Its primary Function is center of sexual energy, creativity, receptivity
- When balanced you experience Passion, creativity, openness, healthy libido, optimism, manifesting and being able to create your own reality or at least believe that you can!
- When underactive you experience Fear of intimacy, low libido, lack of creativity, dysfunctional relationships, feelings of isolation & abandonment.
- When overactive you are overly fixated on sex, over-emotional (jealous & possessiveness), hedonistic, manipulative & drama.
- The Solar Plexus chakra = Manipura in Sanskrit
It is associated with the color YELLOW represents the FIRE element, located in the solar plexus, 1-2 inches above the navel. Its perception/sense is EMOTION, gut feelings and body intuition. Corresponds to the pancreas endocrine gland and is associated with the Stomach and digestive system, liver, gall bladder. Problems can manifest physically as, digestive issues, stomach ulcers, hypertension, chronic fatigue & diabetes. To help balance this chakra, any yellow colored stones, citrine, tiger eye & amber.
- Primary function is Center of unrefined emotion, personal power, sovereignty over your life
- When balanced you feel Confident, feeling of control over life, adequate personal power, drive, strong sense of self
- When underactive you experience low self-esteem, sense of powerlessness, oversensitive to criticism, lack of direction, inferiority complex
- When overactive you are power hungry, domineering, perfectionist, judgmental, egotistical
- The heart Chakra = Anahata in Sanskrit (YAM) (F)
Heart chakra is the mother of all chakras. Most people are unaware that there is two parts to it: lower heart chakras & higher heart chakra.
- Lower heart chakra = related to unconditional love
- Higher heart chakra = related to romantic love related & personal emotions
It is associated with the color GREEN/PINK, represents the element AIR, located in the center of the chest, at the height of the heart. Its perception/Sense is Unconditional LOVE, empathy, sympathy & compassion. Corresponds to the thymus (immune system) endocrine gland and associated with the heart, lungs, arms, hands and blood circulation. Problems can manifest physically as, Heart disease, circulatory problems, lung issues, upper back problems, high blood pressure. To help balance this chakra, use the following gemstones: emerald, rose quartz, aventurine, green/pink tourmaline
- Its Primary Function is the center of real, unconditional love (for the self and others)
- When balanced you feel peaceful and balanced, loving and feeling well-loved, compassion towards others, tolerance of differences, connection to all life
- When underactive you experience bitterness or hate, lack of empathy, trust issues, intolerance and lack of connection to others.
- When overactive you experience, Co-dependency, jealousy, self-sacrificing, give too much, needy/clingy
- The Throat chakra = Vishuddha in Sanskrit
It is associated with the color SKY BLUE, represents the ETHER elements, located in middle of the throat. Its perception is COMMUNICATION. Corresponds to the thyroid endocrine gland and associated with the throat, jaws, mouth, upper lungs & shoulders. Problems can manifest physically as, poor immune system, frequently get a cold/flu, sore throat, chronic cough, ear/hearing problems. To help balance this chakra use any bright or light blue colored stones: Turquoise, aquamarine, blue topaz, blue-lace agate.
- Primary function is Self-expression, hearing, speaking. It is through it that we express our truth. When we resist our divine path, the back of the neck tenses up (when someone is pain in the neck you feel it!).
- When balanced you experience clear communication, confidence in expressing yourself, kind and diplomatic speech, provide good advice, listen to other’s advice.
- When underactive you are unable to express yourself, unable to speak your truth, constantly misunderstood, overly secretive, not an active listener
- When overactive you speak harshly, overly opinionated, critical of others, gossipy, yell a lot or talk over others
- The Third Eye chakra/Brow chakra = Ajna in Sanskrit
It is associated with the color INDIGO, located In the middle of the forehead, a little higher than the eyebrows & Its Perception/Sense is Seeing & INTUITION. Corresponds with the pineal gland & associated with the Eyes, ears, sinuses & lower brain. Problems can manifest physically as, eyestrain, poor vision, headaches, sleep issues, concentration and memory problems. To help balance this chakra, any dark blue or indigo colored stones: Lapis lazuli, azurite, sodalite, sapphire & tanzanite.
- Primary Function is seat of the will, intellect and spirit, visualization, clairvoyance
- When balanced it is active imagination, highly intuitive, clear thoughts and sharp mind, clear vision and sense of direction, ability to see beyond the physical
- When underactive you experience lack of concentration/focus, poor judgment, lack of direction/purpose, inability to see beyond the physical, poor imagination and memory.
- When overactive you experience nightmares, delusions, hallucinations, obsessive thoughts & seeing too many spirits.
- The Crown Chakra = Sahasrana in Sanskrit
Associated with the color VIOLET or WHITE, located a few centimeters below the top of the head and its perception/Sense is spirituality. Corresponds to the pituitary gland and associated with the upper brain and nervous system. Problems can manifest physically as: Dizziness, neurological problems, nerve pain, headaches and migraines, any brain or cognitive problem. To help balance this chakra, use any purple or clear colored stones: amethyst, clear quartz & diamond.
- Primary function is Intuition, direct spiritual vision, spirituality, sense of understanding and knowingness.
- Positive characteristics include infinity, unity, freedom, Divine level of consciousness
- There are NO Negative characteristics
- When balanced you are connection to a higher power, faith in the universe, feeling universal love, easily understand and assimilate information, intelligence and high level of awareness
- When underactive you are depressed, alienated, learning difficulties, confusion, brain fog, lack of faith, anger at the universe, spiritually disconnected
- When overactive you are dogmatic, judgmental, spiritual addition, feeling ungrounded or spaced out, attribute everything to fate and karma vs your own actions.
What causes an imbalance?
A blockage in the flow of energy of the chakras, as well as an excess of energy can lead to imbalance and disharmony on the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual levels. Blockages and other imbalances are most often caused by mental or emotional stress and trauma, as well as by painful experiences.
How to balance them?
There are many ways you can balance your chakras you can use one or a combination of few methods and experiment with each one. I will list them here briefly, but could do a future post discussing each method 🙂
- Crystals & stones as mentioned above for each chakra
- Chakra meditation – different for each chakra
- Affirmations – i.e. for root chakra you can say ‘I am beautiful, I am strong, I am enough’
- Chakra Massage – specific to each chakra
- Color vibration – visualize colors, consume food associated with the chakra you try to balance, and change your clothing to the corresponding color
- Chakra music – each chakra has its own healing sound
- Essential oil – different depending on each chakra
& here you have it, your introduction to chakras and everything you need to know about the 7 main chakras on a basic level.
I hope you found this post interesting & insightful 🙂
Lots of love,