Morning beautiful people 🙂
Another follow up from a previous post “Leaky Gut” !! Check it out if you’re not sure what a leaky gut is 🙂
Here is a list of few things you might want to keep in mind if you are suffering from leaky gut syndrome, autoimmune disease, and/or digestion problems.
Let’s start with the Do’s
- Steamed vegetables: Make sure to make this a huge part of your diet – do I have to list the reasons!? Vegetables are anti-inflammatory, and by now you should know we want to reduce & eliminate inflammation as it is the cause of all if not most diseases.
- Coconut: the entire coconut & the oil! Coconut contains a specific fat called lauric acid, which is antifungal & antimicrobial.
- Non-dairy fermented foods: kimchi, sauerkraut, and kefir are full of good bacteria that help your gut get rid of harmful pathogens and bad bacteria. These types of foods are also known as probiotics.
- Eating anti-inflammatory foods: turmeric, ginger, pineapple, matcha, leaky greens, beets, blueberries & celery.
- Drinking herbal teas
- Eat slowly & make sure to chew properly before swallowing.
- Self care & self love: these include meditation, going for walks, exercising, relaxing hobbies, getting enough sleep.
Try this amazing beets ginger drinks 🙂
The DON’T (do experiment as it may differ from one person to another)
- Artificial sweeteners & refined sugars: do I need to say more?!
- Gluten: Gluten is axed from most leaky gut diets because it increases the production of Zonulin, a protein that has been linked to breakage of junctions in the digestive tract.
- Processed oils
- Eggs: definitely is you’re allergic to them, which is a possibility since it is one of the top 7 most common food allergens. Also egg whites as they have been shown to irritate the digestive tract.
- Medication: Antibiotics, painkillers, and other medications can be difficult to digest, create inflammation in the gut, and prevent healing. Avoid NSAIDs and antibiotics as much as possible. Think long term benefits, as these only provide temporary relief.
- Grains: limit them or even better remove them all together for few months and see how you feel. In the next post I will discuss more why grains, including gluten free ones might be damaging your gut.
- Don’t over exercise: often overlooked! This will make you tired & definitely hungry and at the start of you healing diet this might lead to eating the wrong foods.
- Caffeine: I hate to say this! I always close my eyes when I see it on the don’t list L moderation is key, but caffeine’s main effects is to stress the body. Me: “but it makes me happy!” 🙂
- Alcohol: sorry!
& here you have it guys a brief list of do’s & dont’s! 🙂
Lots of love,